Problem with debugging: XIO: fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"

Juraj Hercek juraj at syncad.com
Mon Mar 31 14:58:04 CST 2003

Hi,

I have  troubles with debugging winelib applications.
This is what makes me unhappy:
---
$ gdb wine
(gdb) r notepad
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/wine notepad
XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server ":0.0"
       after 187 requests (187 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

Program exited with code 01.
---
I'm getting similar results with winedbg (running "winedbg notepad") -
there is just bunch of debug outputs before the error is printed.
However, this happens only when I'm running winedbg from outside wine
directory (checked out from cvs). It works when I'm running winedbg from
wine directory.

I was digging inside wine and problem occurs somewhere in
MODULE_DllProcessAttach() function. This lead me to assumption that
problem is probably caused by incorrect paths to libraries, which
couldn't be found then. I think I should mention that also wineinstall
failed because regedit couldn't find "programs/regedit/regedit.exe.so"
(this file is definitely there) so I had to run regedit to insert
winedefault.reg into registry manualy - I needed to copy winedefault.reg
file to /tmp which is accessible from inside wine system as drive E:\.

My working environment is mdk-9.1 with XFree86 version 4.3.0, native
nvidia driver doesn't work, the same with nvidia driver v. 41.91).

If you have any idea what could be wrong with my linux box, please let
me know. I prefer gdb for debugging since I can use ddd with gdb.

Thanks.

--Juraj