Idea: Combine libSDL with the Wine project

Lionel Ulmer lionel.ulmer at free.fr
Sat May 3 12:24:41 CDT 2003

> Combine the SDL project with the Wine DirectX code. It is a great way to
> catch up with the winex project and SDL has also network code to begin
> working with the RASAPI32 DLL (used by various instant messengers).

Well, this idea has been proposed at least 5 times now and the answer is
always : what would be the gain for the Wine project ?

Basically, it won't gain us any speed as SDL is layered upon exactly the
same APIs Wine is (basically, X, XShm or DGA). So if SDL can do it, we can
also do it an integrate it better in Wine.

The only way SDL can be used in Wine is NOT related at all to DirectX but as
a completely new display driver (as we have TTYDRV and X11DRV). Basically,
to use SDL as a portable frame-buffer like device.

                          Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/