Win32 Mozilla 1.4b+ GCC (MingW)?

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Thu May 8 12:57:31 CDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Brian Vincent (C) wrote:

> Anyone see the release info for Mozilla 1.4 Beta? It says:
>  "As of Mozilla 1.4b, it is possible to build Mozilla for
>  Win32 using GCC."

Yes, the 1.4 release will build on MinGW/Cygwin.
With a bit of luck, we'll have a binutils release
in a week or two, so we can remove some of the
ugly, ugly hacks that were put it to work around
windres problems that have since been fixed.

Some of this fixes will help a little with an eventual
Wine port, but this one will be tough. We still need
a lot of work on winegcc/winewrap to get this to work,
let alone possible enhancements to gcc for -mthread
support.

We are currently failing on simple things with winegcc.
For example:

  1. It seems that MinGW's gcc support both main()
     and WinMain() as entry points irregardless of
     the -mwindows flags. We don't. This results in
     configure tests. For example, we can't currently
     build wxWindows using their configure script
     because configure invokes winegcc with the
     -mwindows flag even though it builds simple
     console apps that have a simple main() function.
     This obviously works under MinGW. I have little
     knowledge about linking issues like this, how
     can we support that in wingcc/winewrap?

  2. We need to add support for the -shared flag
     to winegcc. This is a big task, and we haven't
     even started to look at these issues.

  3. I haven't tried, but I don't think we do the
     right thing when we're invoked with the -mthread
     flag. Alexandre, what extensions (if any) we
     need to gcc to be able to support Windows programs
     that use the -mthread flag?

--
Dimi.