spam protection on mailing list archives

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu May 8 14:23:57 CDT 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:

>I'll second what Brian said, if you read the GMANE FAQ it says that the
>general consensus in the anti-spam community is that spam bots don't do
>even trivial unobfustucation, at least for now.

That's no longer the case, I'm afraid. I got spam to an email address
that was only published obfuscated
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/tutorial.forms.php - bottom comment is mine).

I suspect that spammers do collect obfuscated addresses from specific
sites they know how to decode (a google search,
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=phpcomment%40shemesh.biz&btnG=Google+Search,
did not bring anything up).

I vote for either totally hiding the email address, or doing javascript
decryption with different keys for different archive posts (code at
http://www.jracademy.com/~jtucek/email/).

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant