NPTL auto detection

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Fri May 9 15:18:23 CDT 2003

Dimitrie O. Paun a écrit:
> On Fri, 9 May 2003, Mike Hearn wrote:
>

>>We do, over at newrpms.sunsite.dk iirc, the biggest problems being that I
>>think they depend on ALSA (not sure why) and that nobody knows about them
>>unless they visit IRC. Plus they are for Redhat only (but really it's
>>mostly redhat users with the problems).
>>
>>Perhaps it'd be easier to simply place a prominant warning on the
>>winehq homepage with pointers to newrpms.sunsite.dk
>

> Please don't -- we have a place on SF where we have packages, let's
> not complicate things. In fact, our RedHat RPMs are NTPL read,
> this is what the release notes say:
>
>     Notes: This release is compiled for a fully patched installation of
>            Red Hat Linux 8.0, including (but not limited to) the
>            glibc-2.3.2-4.80.6 errata package. It may or may not work with
>            the original glibc package installed by Red Hat Linux 8.0.

No they're not. Trust me :)
As I just said, the different glibc-2.3.x packages shipped by RH for RH8
  do not work with NPTL. ./configure is not called with --with-nptl in
my RPMs. The results on other distros (eg, RH9) are probably not too good.

What we need is effectively a set of RPMs for RH9 on SF.net. The RPMs on
newrpms.sunsite.dk are built with ./configure --with-nptl, so they would
probably qualify. They are derived from my packages, themselves derived
from the one RH shipped with RH8.

> The problem is that many people build from source, and ./configure
> doesn't do the expected thing: detect the requirements for the current
> system.

That's true. The same thing could be said regarding OpenGL versions,
depending on the supplier of the driver and include files on both the
compilation machine and where it is run.

Vincent