int21 creat flags

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri May 9 16:51:13 CDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 11:14:43PM +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>                Hello,
>
> Is there any reason why Wine's implementation of DOS
> function 0x3c (create file with handle) explicitly ignores
> the invalid flag bits (volume label and directory)?  NT4
> returns error if any of these bits is set.  Some PKSFX files
> have problem with this, since they try to create directories
> the invalid way (function 0x3c, flag=0x30, that is, archive
> directory), and they create FILES instead, which they can
> not cd later, of course...  I was not able to find any
> information on possible extended use of the above function.
> So again, is there any reason why Wine does not conform the
> specification?
Golden rule: Whenever you're unsure of something, always assume the worst
possible way.

In other words: I guess nobody really tested int21 CREAT in Wine
(instead people probably simply noticed that some DOS program needed it,
so they implemented it, although sub-optimally)

Feel free to fix it...

Andreas Mohr