Bugzilla Upgraded

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Mon May 19 01:56:37 CDT 2003

On May 17, 2003 12:51 pm, Dan Kegel wrote:
> So hip hip hooray for the upgrade from this developer,
> restrictive access and all.

I am sorry, but I think this is a *terrible* idea. Bugzilla
is already hard enough to use, this will simply kill it but
for a small select group of hard core users == useless.
The fact that you can't simply link to it from other pages
(such as the Fun/ToDo/etc.) without registration should be
a pretty big hint about it's uselessness.

As for the spam, I am sorry, I think it's all blown out
of proportion. I get a *ton* of spam, and I don't think
it's justifiable to impose such draconian policies on
_everybody_, simply because you can't deal with spam.
There are other ways to handle it: Spam Assassin, use a
different email for wine-related mail, etc.

Bottom line is that this is a *big* usability step backwards,
and I would strongly ask that it be reversed. There's no
evidence that emails in Bugzilla are being harvested, and
even if they were, there's nothing to suggests tools can't
deal with them. And for people that still have problems,
they can use a wine-specific email for it -- but this makes
it their choice, not something unilaterally imposed of everybody.

--
Dimi.