Linking errors when crosscompiling tests

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Tue May 20 11:30:27 CDT 2003

Hans Leidekker <hans at it.vu.nl> writes:

> I didn't make myself clear enough. I am using MinGW's libuuid for
> linking the cross compiled test. And I'm not cross compiling Wine's
> wine_uuid, but converted it to a Wine dll and did a regular compile,
> as for any Wine dll. This way both cross compiled and non-cross
> compiled executables can be linked by just specifying -luuid.
>
> You see MinGW has a libuuid because MS development environments have
> a uuid.lib. So I concluded that Wine should have a libuuid import
> lib.

No, libuuid is not an import lib, it's a normal static library. And
Wine does have one, only it's named wine_uuid to avoid conflicts with
the Unix libuuid. It's true that ideally -luuid should work in all
cases. Currently it's handled by winegcc, but this doesn't work when
building Wine itself since we don't use winegcc yet.

A possibility is to create some extra symlinks to make -luuid work;
another would be to rename the Wine library to libuuid and install it
in /usr/lib/wine so that it doesn't conflict with the Unix one. This
would be more elegant, but it may be a bit more confusing to people
who don't set their library path properly.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com