Building documentation start

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue May 27 12:54:23 CDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
[...]
> >This section does not belong in the Winelib guide. The Winelib guide
> >deals with how to compile Windows applications using Wine, not how to
> >compile Wine itself.
> >
> Phew! Good thing I placed it in wine-devel, then :-)

Argh! I don't know why I thought it was in winelib. It's obviously
not. My apologies.

> >This list of dependencies would fit better in the PACKAGING guide,
> >between the REQUIREMENTS and WINE COMPONENTS sections.
> >
> I know. I'm thinking of just placing a comment there that directs
> packagers to the wine-*devel* docs.

I guess that's ok. No strong opinion there.

> >You could also add something like this to the REQUIREMENTS section:
> >
> >    * A build system satisfying all Wine's soft and hard dependencies so
> >      that the resulting Wine package has all Wine's features.
> >

> I'm not sure about the hard dependancies. I don't feel comfertable
> recommending to packagers to depend on hard dependancies, as that
> changes what is ultimatly needed to install the package. I think hard
> dependancies are up to the packager to decide whether she wants them in
> or not. Soft dependancies, on the other hand, have very little, if any,
> reason to be excluded.

Yes, a packager may want to exclude some hard dependencies (e.g. opengl
until recently). But they should carefully consider things before
deciding to skip one. The idea is just to add a serntence to the
REQUIREMENTS section to make the packager aware that he cannot just
build his package on any odd Linux system and expect to obtain a good
Wine package. He has to make sure he has the right 'optional' packages
installed first.

A particle is an irreducible representation of the Poincaré Group - Eugene Wigner