DLL downloading

Tommy McCabe rocketjet314 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 2 15:57:52 CST 2003

I've gotten rather tired of downloading DLL files
one-by-one, so I wrote a script to do it
automatically. It gets the DLLs from an online server
and uses packages/tools bash, wget, tar, rm, cp, gzip,
and unzip (Those are basic GNU packages, so I'm
assuming they're universal to Linux distros.)
Unfortunately, due to my newness to scripting, it
needs a lot of variables to be set for it before it
can work (no inputs, variables have to be set by other
programs, working on it). Here they are:

$compress: Compression format. Currently, tar,
tar+gzip, zip, and none (no compression) are included.
$server: The server to download the files from. HTTP
and FTP will work.
$serverpath: The server directory where the DLL is
located.
$dllname: The name of the DLL. (DO NOT stick on .tar,
.tar.gz, .dll, etc. It'll come out looking like
(dllfile).dll.dll, which'll mess it up. For example,
kernel32.dll would be just kernel32, and kernel32.zip
would be just kernel32 as well. Working on this, too-
right now the .dll and compression extensions are
added automatically.)
$dest: The directory on the computer where the DLL
goes. (Note: for directories, DO NOT put a slash mark
on the end. It'll end up like /home/knoppix//(dllfile)
(notice the double slash). Right now that's done
automatically- working on that, too.)

Could someone tell me how to include inputs in bash
scripts so all these variables can be set directly by
the user instead of by other programs?

I welcome all suggestions, comments, improvements, and
criticisms. (Hey, I'm new at scripts.) Note: I'm not
subscribed to the list, so please send me email at my
address specifically.

Licensed under the GNU GPL. No warranty.