copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.org
Thu Nov 6 17:54:37 CST 2003

"Ann and Jason Edmeades" <us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk> writes:

> [Ever had the feeling you regret asking a question...]
>
> Possibly another question for Alexander then - Realistically do you believe
> that we can ever support copy protection, and if so how?

I definitely think we can support it yes. It's just a matter of being
compatible enough; that code is a Windows app, it works under Windows,
so there's no theoretical reason it cannot be made to work. All it
takes is someone motivated enough to implement it properly.

> If we can work out how to load the driver in question (which remember is
> safedisk specific, there's others) then are we ok to put dodgy hacks in wine
> to ensure the driver gets the results it is expecting?

Dodgy hacks are not OK here any more than anywhere else, but adding a
proper implementation of the required features is fine.

> Possibly a follow on
> question then is how are we supposed to work out what the driver is
> expecting, ie is debugging it a way to go?

The usual technique: run the app, see what breaks, implement the
missing feature/fix the bug, retry. The first thing of course is to
investigate how to support loading the needed driver.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com