Question: Is secdrv.sys a "Protection Mechanisim"

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Nov 7 00:24:59 CST 2003

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

> 3.neither of 1 or 2 is true and therefore the clone of secdrv.sys is
> not a DMCA violation and can go into the WINE tree.

4. Neither 1 nor 2 are true in the strict sense of the word, but wer'e
not sure that safedisk's manufacturer will think the same. So the code
still cannot go in because we are afraid of being sued.

*sigh*

Like I said, I'm more worried about the cases that are NOT DMCA
violations, but people still don't do them for fear of the DMCA (because
it "sounds like").

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh