copy protection - was: Re: Is it time for playing games on WINE?

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Fri Nov 7 04:32:02 CST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 23:54, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> The usual technique: run the app, see what breaks, implement the
> missing feature/fix the bug, retry. The first thing of course is to
> investigate how to support loading the needed driver.

Lionel, could QEMU be used here? I guess the driver expects to have
kernel level access to the machine, so we could either:

* Use enough magic and voodoo to make the driver think it's in kernel
mode when actually it's in userland. Maybe the instruction emulation
tricks we currently use for broken Win9x apps would work here?

* Write a "wine for drivers". There is prior art in this area, it could
be done, but might be an awful lot of work.

* Maybe use QEMU to allow the driver to be run in a VM. Even if we can't
invoke code directly here, RPC shims would work, I doubt a copy
protection driver has high throughput requirements.

Alexandre - do these options sound sane?

thanks -mike