Potential forum at linuxquestions.org

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Nov 11 20:15:09 CST 2003

Mike Hearn wrote:

> It's not meant to replace wine-users, and especially not wine-devel of
> course.
>
> Why a forum rather than a mailing list?

That question, plus all the 'advantages' you list,
indicate that you do indeed intend it to replace
wine-users, at least for some users.

A web interface that let you post to the mailing list would
be fine.  A web forum would not.  It would mean that, if I
wanted to answer user questions, I'd have to get used to
another strange interface that probably has crappy indexing
and is full of fruity HTML that gets in the way.
I have read linuxquestions.org a bit, and don't like it much;
I dislike the idea of encouraging people to use closed discussion
forums like that, which don't support any sort of external archiving.

Now, if you want to make things easier for users, there's
room for improvement on the winehq forums page.  For starters,
the Forums link on the main page is buried a bit; it ought
to be higher up (say, right after FAQ; the HowTo link should
be part of Documentation).
On the Forums page, the wine-users at winehq.com list should
probably be the first thing on the page.
The newsgroup link is currently wrong(!); it's currently
but should be

And we should probably link to the newsgroups at gmane.org, too.

Shall I prepare patches for the website to implement these changes
so people can see what I'm suggesting?
- Dan