Wintab32 - Tablet support

Robert North 7ownq0k402 at sneakemail.com
Fri Nov 14 19:22:07 CST 2003

Robert Shearman R.J.Shearman-at-warwick.ac.uk |Wine Mailing Lists| wrote:
|>Hi,
|>
|>This is more a question for the developers....
|

| Should have posted to wine-devel then :) Doing so now.
|

|>A couple of months ago there was a patch from Aric Stewart that added
|>support for graphics tablets in wine. However I have not heard anything
|>about it since. Is anybody still working on this?
|>Graphics tablet
|>support is the only thing stopping us from using Photoshop under Linux
|>at the present time. Moving all our graphics artists off dual booting
|>windows machines would be extremely benificial!
|>
|>I tried the original patch but found it affected the > stability of
wine...

| I noticed that in the original patch a lot of functions were called
from DllMain that shouldn't be called from there. Did the backtrace
include wintab32.DllMain?

| The initialisation should probably be moved to either each function
with a line like "if (!initialised) Initialise();"

| Alexandre, how come this patch hasn't been included in Wine yet? Was
it the problem stated here or something else?

There are a number of problems.

Here's my personal view of the problems, and pending fixes:
Alexandre has re-factored the patch to move more code into the x11drv.
Photoshop 6 seems would function, but would get no pressure, as the
messages were passed to no-existant/null windows.
Painter 5 couldn't draw properly, due to mis-calculation of screen coords.

I beleive the re-factoring was more of a hold-up to release than
the bugs I discovered.

I also have some extremely verbose trace code that I could add to this
patch, although it uses indentations. I used this code to do some
debugging on the problems i described above.

I'm about to send an e-mail Alexandre to see if he can resurrect an old
patch that Aric sent to me, that contained the re-factored code.

Hope this helps.
I wanted to post a status update/patch review after applying the patch,
but this is as good a time as any to break radio silence.

Bye
	-Rob.