Further loader/pthread.c issues

Gerald Pfeifer gerald at pfeifer.com
Sat Nov 15 07:10:08 CST 2003

Alexandre,

I noticed that you disabled using pthreads on non-Linux platforms by
means of the following patch:

  revision 1.12 of loader/Makefile.in
  date: 2003/11/11 00:48:21;  author: julliard;  state: Exp;  lines: +12 -11
  Only build both Wine binaries on Linux, pthread support doesn't work
  on other platforms.

Would you mind reverting this, at least for FreeBSD?  FreeBSD does have
POSIX threads, in -STABLE and especially improved in -CURRENT (which will
soon become the stream for regular releases.

Plus, the following really looks like a problem to me (for portability
on Linux as well).  If you want to keep it like that nevertheless, I
volunteer to submit a small and clean patch to provide the workaround on
FreeBSD once you re-enabled POSIX threads there.

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> After last night's changes to loader/pthread.c,v
> we have a new portability problem, namely
>
>   wine/loader/pthread.c:97: undefined reference to `pthread_getattr_np'
>
> Given that loader/pthread.c is about POSIX threads, is it really
> correct/good to use a non-POSIX function?
>
> PS: On FreeBSD, pthread_getattr_np does not exist, but there is a function
> pthread_attr_get_np which seems to be equivalent. On Solaris, neither seems
> to exist.

Thanks for your considerations; your support for portability and non-Linux
platforms is really appreciated!

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald at pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/