Netmeeting under wine

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Nov 18 00:09:34 CST 2003

Tom wrote:

> Jérôme Bouat wrote:
>
>> use GnomeMeeting:
>> http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
>

> Hi,
>
> Time for me to get into trouble again :)

Not only that, but I'm somehow dragging myself too. Your'e good :-)

> This guy ask if we could help him to get a win
> app that he uses "Netmeeting" in this case to work with
> the vine "wine" but instead of help he got use this... as its native
> to linux!

Well, I guess making a new app work on Wine is a non-trivial task, and
so people prefer to focus their efforts where the app is truely needed -
i.e., where no native free software alternative is available. This does
not mean that David can't hack wine to make NetMeeting work himself, or
that Alexandre won't commit it. It just means that I, for one, have
little incentive to jump in at the moment. Once Jérôme pointed (me) to
GnomeMeeting (how did they skip the chance to call it Gnomeeting??),
it's not my itch any more.

> People........ Wine is for Win apps!! I know there are many native
> apps that will
> replace win apps, fulfill your needs but...... WTF is this project
> about??????? running win apps on linux??

Certanly for some people. I know that's a lot of what it is to me, in
any case. Without trying to claim that ReactOS guys are not doing a
wonderful job, I'm still after using Linux (or any other free OS, I
don't care that much) for as much of my day2day activities as possible.
Wine is one of the tools to do that.

> Not you should use this or that app in its place, but you should use
> what your
> comfortable with.. what you spent your hard earned money on..

But what about the not-yet-spent money? Will it be cheaper to learn a
new app, or to support NetMeeting? Remeber, that app is integrated into
the Windows OS in levels I don't think even IE can rival.

I know that I found Jérôme's post useful. One may adopt a more "FYI"
tone in the future.

> So to sum this rant up.....
>
> In the future dont say use what I use, but help them use what there
> use to and Wine will fulfill
> its goal.......

I can speak only for myself. I won't invest huge amounts of time in
helping someone else use an application *he* is used to, while I have
perfectly acceptable (to me) alternatives.

If he'd be paying me - that's something else. If he'd come with specific
questions - that's something else too.

> Just my $.02
>
> Tom

My 0.09 ILS (http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=0.09&From=ILS&To=USD)