Fun projects?

dim owner rtpc at comcast.net
Thu Nov 27 17:04:29 CST 2003

On Thursday 27 November 2003 12:26, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> B. MPlayer, and others, are known to host Codec DLLs from windows like
> divx-avi and other. Do they use wine. or is it a code rip like the
> ndiswrapper (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/) I think it
> looks like a wine derived loader.

	I'm looking at the loader section of MPlayer now ... (all docs plus the
archive still barely give you any idea what it is they are doing)  They have
what is called mini-wine (in the list it was referred to as this, at least)
	Since the documentation is so sparse, I was going to look around in other
projects.  Xine uses their win32 stuff, so I'll start looking there.  In the
meantime, any other projects you can think of that do this sort of thing?
(ndiswrapper is a kernel module).

	Just for some basic info ... MPlayer fakes responces to system API on a
per-codec-DLL basis, which means, for each new DLL, they add the necessary
callbacks.  I think this could eventually wind them into trouble if the dlls
they want to use grew in the wrong way.  But, the advantage, they don't have
to process a video stream through a full wine, which gives them speed enough
to make the DLLs useful.
	I don't know if speed will be such an issue for my purposes; I'm not
outputting unencoded video ... hopefully this flexability (a full wine) lends
enough compatability that I only need .specs for supporting DLLs for the
plugins.  Since their port includes the interface to the DLLs, it's still
another resource to look at.
	That brings up the second question I have ... I'm not a windows person.  Is
there some tool that can query a DLL, kinda like objdump?

--r
dorothy at oz:~> ls
scarecrow tinman lion
dorothy at oz:~> find . -name home