winsock: remove annoying message

Juan Lang juan_lang at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 29 10:53:10 CST 2003

--- Rein Klazes <rklazes at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > Ahh, I think I see your point:  the Wine+Linux
> variant
> > uses /etc/services, while Windows uses a file of
> the
> > same format, but in a different location
> > (system\services for Win9x, typically
> > system32\drivers\etc\services for WinNT+).  Is
> that
> > right?
>
> Yes, although I do not remember for sure whether
> this services file
> under windows is actually used by these winsock
> calls.

It is (just checked on WinME).

> > Because a user (non-developer) can't take any
> action
> > to correct this, I think the output is
> unnecessary.
> > Point taken that at least a TRACE may be useful,
> > though, since it's of use to developers.
>
> I don't follow here. There are plenty of users
> around that would be able
> to read, understand and act on this message.

Plenty of us, yes, but not all users IMO.  I'm on a
kick to get rid of annoying messages that might be
misinterpreted as errors by casual users of WINE.
Like I said in my prev response, this message isn't
indicative of an error, it may be doing precisely what
it's meant to.  For instance, here's a snippet from my
netstat -a output on Windows at the moment:
 TCP  juan:1064  JUAN:0                  LISTENING
 TCP  juan:1055  f465.mail.yahoo.com:80  TIME_WAIT
With this MESSAGE, each entry for unknown port #s
(1064, 1055 in this output) will print out a message
about a missing entry in /etc/services.  This isn't
what I'd expect, since a random port # used on the
client end of a tcp connection shouldn't be using a
well-known port most of the time.  I'd argue this
message isn't useful to casual users, either.

So, I'd still argue that the behavior is correct a
large percentage of the time, without the message.
The only time the behavior isn't correct is when WINE
is being run against a native windows install, and the
services file under Linux differs from the services
file on that native windows install, and the user is
trying to getservbyproto something that appears only
in the windows install.  And whether the behavior here
is incorrect is still debatable in my mind, because
the Windows app will be using the same services file
the Linux apps do, and will behave the same as them.

Whew.. sorry I'm beating this to the ground.  In any
event, Alexandre didn't apply my patch :)  What do you
say about changing from MESSAGE() to TRACE()?

--Juan