"Start menu" (continued ...)

Robert van Herk robert at robertvanherk.nl
Wed Oct 1 05:52:53 CDT 2003

>Just a thought which may or may not be completely out of proportion: In
>which sense can Wine and native Desktop be easily synchronized? I see a
>number of problems such as who should synchronize to whom. Why make an
>arbitrary Unix desktop synchronize to a Wine start menu? Why not the
>other way around? Wine builds in all other areas on top of the existing
>Unix platform. Is it really useful to start to base the native Unix
>desktop on Wine? Or is this the first step in getting Wine as yet another
>Unix desktop into the picture?

I am not talking about a complete desktop, just about a little submenu
in your K-menu, or Gnome menu, or whatever menu one could be using. Such
a thing already exists, but is implemented with scripts instead of with
a Wine deamon/linux client. The current system does not seem to be to
flexible. Therefore, I suppose that a setup with wine deamon as a server
and a linux client would be better. For example: one could easily add
support for more desktop environments, without the changing the deamon.

Robert