Translating WINE using dedicated tools

Martin Quinson mquinson at ens-lyon.fr
Thu Oct 2 01:30:28 CDT 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 12:58:15PM -0400, Vincent Béron wrote:
> Le mer 01/10/2003 à 04:25, Martin Quinson a écrit :
> > [Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to this list]
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've read in the last Wine KC that you are getting troubles to keep the
> > translation of wine uptodate. I am pretty well involved in the translation
> > of free software, and this is a common issue for all of us. It is so common
> > that I did a program to deal easily with the translation of any kind of
> > resource. This is called po4a (po for anything), and you can find more
> > details about this on http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/po4a and
> > http://www.nongnu.org/po4a/ .
> >
> > The idea is to ease the convertions resource -> po file and then
> > po -> resource when the translation is done. So, checking if the translation
> > is uptodate is as easy as used the dedicated tools of the gettext world.
> >
> > Po4a is fully modular, and all we have to do to let wine using it is a new
> > (perl) module to parse it. You can find more details about how to do a
> > module using `perldoc Locale::Po4a::TransTractor` once the program is
> > installed.
>
> I'm involved in translating Mozilla and Wine to French, and both don't
> use po files, so you'll have to convince me to use this format (I know
> it's the standard Unix way and that there are some tools for it).

Tel me how you translate mozilla and I'll tell you what benefit you could
get from a gettext based solution.

If wine would be translated using po4a, it would be easier for translators,
since they would not have to learn yet another format, since they would know
imediatelly when the translation needs update. And it would also help
ensuring that an error from the translator would not break the localized
version of wine.

But don't get me wrong. I propose help here, and my grand-ma always told
that it is a very bad idea to help people against there willing. If you
don't want to use po4a, that's fine with me.

> > I would like to help here, but I need to know the gramar of the resource
> > files. Do you have any parsers around there ? The better would be to have
> > Perl based ones, since this is the language used in po4a.
>
> There's a bison/lex one (check in tools/wrc/*.y). Don't know how to
> modify it, and don't know Perl either :)

Ok, I'll have a look at it. It looks rather easy to do a module for po4a.

> Basically, what we need is both a way of knowing that everything has
> been translated (included in the various language files), and then
> making sure it's still uptodate (tracking modifications between master
> versions). At least, that's the way we do it for Mozilla.

Nope, that's what you achieve for mozilla, not exactly how you did manage
it. I found about the MozillaTranslator program, and my feeling is that it
is reinventing the wheel of, say kbabel. But I may be wrong. The good thing
with a gettext based solution is that it follows the standard of translating
free software. As matter of fact, it gives you the choice about the
interface you want to use to do the job, for example.

But once again, if you guys prefer to develop a WineTranslator from the
scratch, that's fine with me.

Thanks for your time, Mt.

--
use Mail::Signature;