question about copyright and code, is this legal?

Jonathan Wilson jonwil at tpgi.com.au
Fri Oct 3 06:05:11 CDT 2003

Say I have a piece of code, x (which is copyright) which always returns the
same output for a given input (e.g. a function that implements a math
formula or a function that retrieves some value from an internal data table
stored in the dll or whatever)
Lets then say that I havent seen this code (either origonal C code or
disassembly)
Say I was to write a program that calls this function for all valid inputs
and prints the inputs and outputs.
If I was to take the output of this program and, without refering to the
origonal function or the dump program in any way (i.e. using just the
"truth table" for the function) generate a function that, for any given
input, generates the same output as the original, have I broken the law?