Fw: About Explorer clone

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Sat Oct 4 10:22:39 CDT 2003

Here is the complete mail...

Hello,

PETREOLLE Sylvain wrote:
> Can your explorer clone be compiled with Wine sources and/or tools ?
> I have both Windows 2000/XP with latest Cygwin / RedHat Linux environments
> to test it.

Yes, I have put a "Makefile.Wine" into CVS for compiling as Winelib application. Just put the explorer source into the directory "wine/programs/explorer" and use "make -f Makefile.Wine" zu build it. If it complains about a too old Makefile, issue an "touch Makefile".

> Another point : Im not easy with ansi-related questions.
> You give 2 versions of explorer into the binary snapshot on your website.
> What are the differences between them ?

The ANSI version "explorer-ansi.exe" doesn't use Unicode strings. You can use it instead of "explorer.exe" on older systems such as Win 98. To compile the Unicode version add "UNICODE=1" to the make command line.

> Both are randomly crashing on my W200 Pro when browsing the Start menu,
> which makes me want to have a debug version to see where the crash occurs.

If you find out, what causes the crash in your installation, you can inform me of it. My explorer implementation is currently far from complete. The TODO list is growing steadyly.  ;-)

Martin