question about copyright and code, is this legal?

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Tue Oct 7 22:12:05 CDT 2003

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:07, Patrik Stridvall wrote:
> [correct summary of the law deleted]

> As far as Wine is concerned though I can't think of
> any Windows API that:
> 1. Returns pure facts (not having any unique expression)
> 2. Would fulfill the requirement of needed a significant
>    effort to collect to collect the fact.
>
> So no I wouldn't worry about it as far as Wine is concerned.

Unfortunately it appears there may be one: LCMapString. If all the things we
have discovered about the tables are correct (and I am by no means assuming
that they are), then the Microsoft sort key table meets the industrious
collection requirements and returns facts in a way that could not be
duplicated without duplicating the table (it returns the table entry in
literal form, so it couldn't even be represented as a different table).

This is what is (generally) returned by LCMapString. The actual table is
included in an external file under NT (sortkey.nls), so one option (likely
the best option) would be to implement LCMapString using a standard table
from unicode.org, then provide a facility so that people in the US and Canada
can (at their own risk of course) use the Microsoft versions relying on
Feist.