attaching or inlining? what to do when you're stuck with a stupid mail client???[Ay

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Thu Oct 9 21:54:31 CDT 2003

On October 9, 2003 09:58 pm, Geoff Thorpe wrote:
> look/feel/use, like "wine-cvs". I would have personally thought that
> attachments make more sense, because separating patches from text can be
> ambiguous and it's not as easy to send multiple patches (eg. when
> submitting two alternative patches?)

It is strongly discouraged to send multiple patches. It has been discussed
before multiple times, please search the archives. This is not something
new, it has been discussed in other places (like the linux-kernel),
multiple times, and every time we reach the same conclusion: the ideal
situation is to have the patches inlined (patch takes are of extracting
it just fine). The next best thing is attachment as text/plain, but not
nearly as desirable as inline patches.

> preferences. Then again, if the filter takes place prior to mail-list
> processing maybe just splitting the list into multiple "channels" makes
> more sense, where you default to one of them but can change it via the
> preferences/unsubscribe administration. BTW: this is exactly what happens
> for people wanting daily digests instead of individual postings.

That's an idea, but it means we have to patch mailman which will make
future updates harder (unless mailman has provisions for such extensions).
Maybe we convince them to integrate such a feature in the next release :)

--
Dimi.