Deadlock?

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Wed Oct 15 03:53:59 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 01:38, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > So, i cannot find the specific position, what to do now?
>
> Once it is deadlocked, you should attach to the various threads with
> gdb or winedbg and do a backtrace.

I might as well point out (as I didn't find this intuitive when I was
learning) that you do that like this:

1) Open up a new terminal window
2) Run winedbg
3) "walk process"
4) Locate the win32 process id of the program that has deadlocked
5) "attach X" where X is the pid
6) "bt 0x9" gives you a backtrace of thread 9
7) "bt 0x15" gives you a backtrace of thread 15 etc....

Then you can see what path the code took before it hit the locks.