[ros-kernel] Re: WINE porting templates

Vizzini vizzini at plasmic.com
Wed Oct 15 14:11:48 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 13:45, Steven Edwards wrote:
> Hello All,
> Jason is right I think. I spoke with Alexandre the other night about
> implementing a Win32k.sys driver for WINE so we could use GDI32/User32
> and it might be do-able it wont be somthing that is possible for at
> least another year at the rate we are sharing code.

I know very little about Wine's architecture, so forgive my ignorance.
What sort of efficiency overhead is there in doing the "wine driver"
approach?  How about compatibility issues, e.g. with off-the-shelf
windows apps?  This seems like a pretty big departure from the Windows
architecture that we are trying to clone, but if it enables a high
degree of code re-use, it may be worth it.

 -Vizzini