S3 texture compression patent

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Fri Oct 17 11:36:43 CDT 2003

On October 17, 2003 11:56 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> In future please do not raise patents on this list. What we don't know,
> can't hurt us (as much).

IANAL, but I beg to differ.

First, Wine should be reasonably well protected against patent
infringement, because (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) it
doesn't actually *do* very much that could infringe. What I mean to say
is that the API implementation is largely a compatibility shim between
win32 applications and native APIs on the host platform. As was mentioned
in the texture case, *wherever* the potentially infringing action takes
place, it is almost certainly not in Wine itself - and moreover, if the
user/host/customer/whatever has a legal right to that functionality and
patented behaviour, then Wine shimming those calls on should be perfectly
legal. Likewise, shimming those calls on to unlicensed implementations
represents a violation of the user, in that he/she has enabled behaviour
on their platform (that Wine duly abides by) that they have no legal
entitlement to. Whatever, I think patent law (in the US particularly) is
a giant pigopolist sham, but it shouldn't be Wine's business to feel the
need for online lookups or other "out of band" (eg. configuration)
assurances to check whether the host implementations, drivers, and
what-not are legit.

Secondly, in any rare instance where Wine itself *might* infringe on
patents, the best course of action is to force the worms out of the
intestines. Erm, or should I say "woodwork"? Getting an appropriate
metaphor for IP lawyers is a tricksie affair at the best of times. Patent
holders, for better or worse, must enforce their IP for it to remain
valid. Hidden and intentionally undiscussed issues in the Wine source can
be justification for patent holders to lurk and not spring surprises
until much later on, under the guise that they can not act on IP
violations until they *know* about them. Look at the shambles with
SCO<-->Linux - it seems that the one evidential string in SCO's bow after
all the years of open/public development on linux is that Linus stated
publically that he, almost in the same words as you, "prefers not to
know". The recent Wired article has some references to this, FWIW.

IMHO, you're better to code, discuss, and even publicise such things.
Hell, if you're not sure about the IP coverage on something you're doing
viz-a-viz some dubious patent or other, consider mailing the party
concerned with a CC to the public list (and perhaps a CC to FSF-legal
too). The hardest problem of IP law to overcome is that the mere fear of
patent infringement stifles development and competition, irrespective of
whether the suspected infringement has any firm footing or not. I suspect
that in many cases, patent holders fear the expense and bad press of
enforcing their tenuous claims and would rather maintain an unchallenged
advantage because others say and do nothing. IP law is the modern
protection racket, and IP-hoarders know it. Moreover, the principle of
"balance" in IP law is the ever-present risk of patents being invalidated
should the matter be openly discussed and disruptive issues such as
prior-art be introduced, but "preferring to not discuss it" robs you of
this counterbalance. Bear in mind also that in the US, IIRC (and again,
IANAL), the patent holder has one year from the time they are aware of
potential infringement to when it becomes too late for them to
pursue/enforce it. More or less, IANAL, IMHO, just my $0.02, and various
other hand-waving caveats are assumed. Of course, clarifications of this
from any qualified opinions are most welcome.

Cheers,
Geoff

--
Geoff Thorpe