S3 texture compression patent

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Fri Oct 17 14:48:00 CDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:58:42 +0200, Lionel Ulmer <lionel.ulmer at free.fr> wrote:

>The big question is when the card does not support it and we need to do the
>decompression in software and send it back to the card.... In this case, do
>we violate it or not ?

Is it a patent for a hrdware solution, or for software? If software then in
Europe, at least in Germany and others, it wouldn't matter because
softwarepatents are not possible (and hopefully never will).

I wonder what the position of Wine is on such a thing. I guess the servers are
US based so it would be a problem there. But it would be perfectly legal to
host this in Europe. Or would there be a server which then must host stuff
which is not allowed in the US because their absurd moneymaking policy (I can
not call such things law, which only are there to protect the income of big
companies).

--
Gerhard Gruber

Für jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache Lösung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)