NTFS driver (was: ReactOS GPL vs. proprietary drivers)

Szakacsits Szabolcs szaka at mlf.linux.rulez.org
Tue Oct 21 04:47:48 CDT 2003

Hi,

Jan Kratochvil <rcpt-ros-kernel.AT.reactos.com_at_jankratochvil.net> wrote:

> As GPLed Linux-NTFS still has no NTFS r/w capability I completed the
> project for reliable r/w access in Wine way by using MS-Windows
> ntfs.sys driver.

The goal of the Linux-NTFS project is the provide completely open source
code to access, manage NTFS filesystems, not only r/w access whatever way.
It's a big difference. There is already a full r/w driver for Linux by
Paragon for a while - although it costs money but it doesn't have legal
threats.

Why the open source write capability isn't achieved? In short, no active
development for over a year and before that the code base was completely
rewritten, after former developer(s) stopped working on it 3-4 years ago.
Otherwise write access is pretty close, I'd say 2-4 months hard work (if
one isn't familiar with NTFS that's another 1-3 months).