EDIT_WM_Create fix.

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Tue Oct 21 08:28:25 CDT 2003

On October 21, 2003 09:00 am, Rein Klazes wrote:
> See? You are looking for an if-else-statement yourself. Perhaps there is
> not one. And if there is, it may test numerous other things then the
> Windows version.

I am not. But knowing is various Windows versions are consistent in
certain behavior tells us how important that particular thing is.

> Anyway I have already verified this under win98, win2k and for win16
> code (tested that under win2k). Each and every edit control that I threw
> at it returned 1 at the wm_create message.

I believe you, it's just that all your experience went into a comment,
which is non-executable. This is more a philosophical issue, but to
me executable code is _always_ better than words. With the new testing
infrastructure we put in place, we'll have these tests run regularly
on all windows versions, past, present and future.

The problem with comments only is that they may not be convincing in
a few years. A *recently* run test (as we hope to have fresh results
for all Wine releases) is a lot more convincing. Also, adding a lot
of information in your comments is also not good, it uglifies and
clutter the code. Not adding it wastes all the info you've learn
the hard way.

Putting a terse comment in the code, and the rest in the test solves
this dilemma beautifully: code is clean, information is not lost, and
something constantly checks that it is still current/relevant. Yes,
it costs you a bit more initially to write the test, but it pays out
rather quickly.

Now, if you don't want to do it, fine, I don't mean to force you.
But I think it would be good policy to supply patches that fix such
bugs with accompanying tests. It would be a way to codify into live,
working code the experience you've gathered the hard way.

--
Dimi.