NTFS driver (was: ReactOS GPL vs. proprietary drivers)

Szakacsits Szabolcs szaka at mlf.linux.rulez.org
Wed Oct 22 02:47:50 CDT 2003

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Fabian Cenedese wrote:

> >> Filesystem must be the rock solid data storage structure. You must
> >> know the meaning of each byte (*) for such reliable and interoperable
> >> filesystem.
> >
> >Exactly. Every needed byte is known.
>
> Wow! Really?
>
> >> (*) You do not need to know the journalling metadata as long as you do not
> >>     support journalling and/or its recovery.
> >
> >One of the unknown issues is journaling :)
>
> AHA! And not only "The unknown issue" but "One of the unknown issues".

I expected this note. I extend my first sentence: every needed byte is
known to implement a posix read/write NTFS driver.

Journaling is not posix, quota is not posix, enryption is not posix, etc.
NTFS has quite a lot of features. For basic read/write no need to
implement the extensions.

> Sorry, I couldn't resist, no offense :)

No, no. Please continue asking. Only stupid question is one not asked.

I think the root of problem that Linux open source NTFS development
"stopped" is because there are a lot of misbeliefs and people give up even
before they would try to accomplish it.

BTW, I hope the topic is not off-topic here. If it is then please let me
know and I stop answering. I always wondered how Wine users solve the
issue, running an application from an NTFS partition that needs read/write
access to NTFS ... I don't use Windows so I don't have much knowledge on
Wine but IMHO it's one of the most important open source projects.

	Szaka