NTFS driver (was: ReactOS GPL vs. proprietary drivers)

Szakacsits Szabolcs szaka at mlf.linux.rulez.org
Thu Oct 23 04:54:35 CDT 2003

Jakob Eriksson wrote:

> Nevertheless, I too wonder what ntfsresize -i /device would do on a
> Longhorn... is the command "ntfsresize" still there BTW?

Hmmm, ntfsresize is an open source Linux util what I wrote over a year ago
and today used by several distros to non-destructively resize NTFS safely,
if feasible (it was written a "do it or leave it" way).

There are several ways to try it out. If one has already Linux then just
install ntfsprogs and try it on the Longhorn partition. If one has floppy
then boot a floppy Linux (but not Tom's RTBT or Leka, they have 32 bit
file size and other limits) and one might use the statically linked
ntfsresize from the below page. If one has Knoppix or one of the other
rescue, Live CD or distro CD that includes it then just boot it and run
ntfsresize from a terminal, etc.

I list here what I was told or know about who uses it and how, etc

	http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html

It's zero risk because the -i (info) options mounts the partition
read-only. There can be 3 outcomes,

1. segfault -> NTFS changed significantly
2. change will be caught by libntfs or ntfsresize
3. no changes and it will work.

I expect 2.

Unfortunately I don't know any easier way how to figure out if there were
changes or not.

	Szaka