RPM for Red Hat - Wine Startup problem for multiple users

SysAdmin role.wine at axoria.net
Sat Oct 25 05:08:30 CDT 2003

Hi good folks!

I'd like to offer to provide some testing and/or debug feedback on this
one because it seems several users have experienced the same problem
getting Wine to start, and it appears not to be application specific.

Previous use of Wine has been fine, and I just tried 20031016 using the
RPMs for RH8, running i686. I get the same problem whether I upgraded,
or cleared everything out first and installed from scratch.

Doesn't matter what application I try - even notepad, for example, all
stop with the following error, seemingly before Wine has really got
going...

	wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...

Now, I assume there's some more debugging info I could offer you guys,
but you'll need to ask me the question coz I'm not sure what you want to
know.

Why am I writing here?

Well, it seemed more appropriate than the wine-users list where this got
discussed a bit, and it seems likely that it's going to be a fixable
problem because several users have seen it - and it appears to occur
early during start-up regardless of application being launched, so from
my experience of programming it seems it stands the chance of being a
more readily fixable glitch in common code than some hard-to-track down
obscure interaction with application-specific libraries.

Oh, and I need a pointer to what questions need answering to be helpful
and I'd like to be able to give better debug/testing feedback to help
the project along a little bit as much as I can.

Thanks!

--
Best regards,
James.