AW: Windows Video Drivers on Linux

Klaus Gerlicher KlausPG at ati.com
Mon Sep 1 09:28:58 CDT 2003

What it does is to emulate win32k.sys and videoprt.sys functionality and
hook the X server up to use any available driver for Win2K/XP.

The display driver in windows is a two component model, one DLL and one SYS.
The DLL (display driver) links to kernel-mode GDI (win32k) and calls
EngXXX() functions inside it while the SYS (miniport) links to the VideoPort
(and unfortunately to other NTOSKRNL exports). While the latter poses no
difficulty since XP graphics drivers are supposed to only use exports from
win32k and videoprt, one of the main difficulties will be to get the OpenGL
ICD driver to run on top of Linux since it can potentially call any
user-mode export which would require me to emulate all of the Windows
user-mode environment. WINE could probably help a lot in this respect.

I will let you know as soon as I have the latest Radeon driver running
inside my prototype.

Klaus