AW: Windows Video Drivers on Linux

Gerhard W. Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Mon Sep 1 14:55:20 CDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 16:28:58 +0200, Klaus Gerlicher <KlausPG at ati.com> wrote:

>What it does is to emulate win32k.sys and videoprt.sys functionality and
>hook the X server up to use any available driver for Win2K/XP.
>
>The display driver in windows is a two component model, one DLL and one SYS.
>The DLL (display driver) links to kernel-mode GDI (win32k) and calls
>EngXXX() functions inside it while the SYS (miniport) links to the VideoPort
>(and unfortunately to other NTOSKRNL exports). While the latter poses no
>difficulty since XP graphics drivers are supposed to only use exports from
>win32k and videoprt, one of the main difficulties will be to get the OpenGL
>ICD driver to run on top of Linux since it can potentially call any
>user-mode export which would require me to emulate all of the Windows
>user-mode environment. WINE could probably help a lot in this respect.
>
>I will let you know as soon as I have the latest Radeon driver running
>inside my prototype.

Oh! Seems I was wrong with my assumption that you couldn't be contacted. :)
Good! :)

Could you tell me why you abandoned pICE? Is there a specific reason for this
or only personel? If there is some technical reason I would like to know about
this, as I'm quite interested in this project and I really would like to
continue it in order to have some decent debugger for wine as well.

--
Gerhard Gruber

Für jedes menschliche Problem gibt es immer eine einfache Lösung:
Klar, einleuchtend und falsch. (Henry Louis Mencken)