BUG in IPersistFile::Load() since Wine-20030618 !

Subhobroto Sinha pasha_3d at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 13:06:13 CDT 2003

This is a followup of my earlied post.

Recap: I was porting my program which resolved Windows
shortcut files (.lnk) using WineLib (Please note that
this program runs flawlessly on Windows).
It used to work fine till I updated my Wine source
from 20030408 to 20030813.

I posted this report here and Dimitrie suggested that
I do a CVS Regression test to locate the error...

Now, I really could NOT do a CVS regression test as I
lack the bandwidth (you know, a 28KBps modem ..), but
I started afresh with the Wine-20030408 source tree
and "patch-compile-tested" to version 20030618.
Then I found out that from this release onwards
IPersistFile::Load() had become BROKEN !

Hence I have reason to believe that ANY code which
modified/touched directly/indirectly
IPersistFile::Load() and made it's way into
Wine-20030618.diff.gz is AT FAULT ;)
And that code needs to be FIXED.

So ALL Wine releases prior to 20030618 can sucessfully
run my program(or for that matter, ANY program that
calls IPersistFile::Load()) , and ANY Wine release
after 20030618 will fail ANY application that calls
IPersistFile::Load() !

Just to show that not just my program is at fault, you
can also try running Mike McCormack's WineMenuBuilder
which also resolves Windows shortcuts...

Until IPersistFile::Load() got broken, on running my
program this is the ONLY message I used to get :
"fixme:shell:IShellLinkA_fnResolve
(0x4039da98)->(hwnd=(nil) flags=3)"

The attached file "WineTraceLog.zip"<MD5 Sum:
278b4c4a44cc445b6c0e0d8863a790cf> contains the
pertinent extract of the trace log when I run my
program, please go through it to see what really is
happenning.
(While going through this extract you can see that the
shortcut has been resolves sucessfully, but yet
IPersistFile::Load() returns a failure ??)

I hope this gets fixed allright ;)
Please let me know if I can help in any way (EXCEPT
learning COM!)...

Regards

Subhobroto Sinha