[dcom 1.2] Implement dispatch variant marshalling

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Thu Sep 4 14:24:19 CDT 2003

On 4 Sep 2003, Mike Hearn wrote:

> I removed the use of asserts to check the results, and replaced them
> with ERRs.

> +  working_mem = GlobalAlloc(0, size);
> +  if (!working_mem) {
> +    ERR("failed to get a global alloc\n");
> +    return oldpos;
> +  }

I don't think this is such a good idea. If the API can fail, it
should just fail. ERR should be used only to signal internal
inconsistencies. Doing an ERR on very memory allocation / function
call that can fail is not only useless, but harmful, as it
bloats and clutters the code. The above should just be:

  working_mem = GlobalAlloc(0, size);
  if (!working_mem) return oldpos;

--
Dimi.