mine is better!

Gregory M. Turner gmturner007 at ameritech.net
Mon Sep 8 00:55:11 CDT 2003

On Sunday 07 September 2003 06:16 pm, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 23:14, Gregory M. Turner wrote:
> > whee!  another glibc mystery...
>
> If so, why don't you say which glibc version you use and whether you
> upgraded recently?

good point.  It's gentoo 2.3.2-r1, with the nptl USE flag set.  I did rebuild
it relatively recently, and again today just to see if it magically fixed
itself (no dice)... but wine was OK sometime between those two builds, which
would seem to indicate some external cause.

> I assume a full rebuild (make clean) doesn't fix it?

'fraid not, I even tried a clean out-of-source build from nothing.

> > I do not buy, in the final analysis, that this is anything to do with nss
> > or nscd (which I don't even run, although running it doesn't fix
> > anything)...
>
> Don't let the names fool you, these read local /etc/passwd and
> /etc/resolv.conf files when there's no such server configured. And
> getpwuid() sounds suspiciously like something that would read
> /etc/passwd.

Indeed, strace shows them being read....

> I've heard there's been some binary incompatibility in this
> area of glibc lately (not with applications, but between glibc and the
> nss modules (used to access /etc/passwd), so that services would have to
> restarted after upgrading glibc, and programs statically linked with an
> "old" glibc wouldn't work, with win4lin being a casualty of this).

well since everything is from source on my box (except army ops :)) that
shouldn't be my problem...  the nss libs are part of the glibc ebuild, so it
really all ought be in sync....

maybe it's time for me to rebuild glibc with debug symbols... I still suspect
that the root cause is some incredibly trivial act of systems-administrative
stupidity on my part :(

thanks for your help,

--
gmt

"We have to get basically voters to say 'I'd like to vote
for the politician who thinks of global equity'"
  -- Bill Gates, World Economic Forum 2002