for Red Hat packager

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Tue Sep 9 12:47:57 CDT 2003

On September 9, 2003 10:18 am, Vincent Béron wrote:
> Le mar 09/09/2003 à 12:50, Keith Matthews a écrit :
> > On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:09:04 +0300

snip
> > I think you should be considering multiple, alternative packages. Yes, I
> > know it is more work, but even the current packages have dependencies on
> > things that some people consider un-necessary and avoidable.
> >
> > Far too many packagers seem to want to add everything including the
> > kitchen sink in, the end result is packages that are a right royal PITA
> > if you are trying to install on a small system.
>
> The opposite (as Debian does it) is a slew of small packages for the
> whole Wine functionality. So if you don't install wine-print, you can't
> load winspool.drv, and some apps (even some from which you don't use the
> print facility) won't load. It's a semi-common problem on IRC.
>
> The best way is, as Alexandre tries to go, run-time detection. Yes the
> executables are bigger (more functionality), but there's not more
> installation-time dependancies and it can use some more libs as they are
> installed.
>
> Vincent

, except that rpm insists on the appropriate packages being installed before
it will even install the wine.  Personally my environment is for business
computing.  I only have a sound card because it is on the board; I don't have
speakers.  So I have no need for sound, scanner support, camera support and
all the other things that a lot of people do want.  Therefore I find it
extremely frustrating when I have to install packages purely to satisfy an
rpm requirement.

--
Bill Medland
ACCPAC International, Inc.