adding structures to headers

Geoff Thorpe geoff at geoffthorpe.net
Tue Sep 9 21:34:53 CDT 2003

On September 9, 2003 10:14 pm, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> On September 9, 2003 08:40 pm, Geoff Thorpe wrote:
> > when adding missing functions and structure types to wine headers, to
> > what extent can we copy-n-paste structure definitions from the
> > documentation at msdn.microsoft.com web? IANAL.
>
> I'd say none -- don't copy-n-paste, express it (type it) yourself.
> The interface is not protected by copyright, but its _expression_
> (i.e. how it is formatted, etc.) is, so please don't copy that.

Ah, well the difference is less than obvious to me. In particular, the
formatting on the web-page wasn't an exact match with that used in the
wine headers, so I had to produce the header content manually. And of
course taking a pretty-printed rendering of a structure in HTML and
producing a C header definition would seem to me to be a change of its
"expression". On the other hand, I *have* duplicated the interface
verbatim in terms of using exactly the same element names, the same order
of elements in the structures, etc.

I've already posted the patch(es) to wine-patches, do you think what I've
done constitutes a problem?

Cheers,
Geoff

--