Wine repeated unhandled exptions

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Wed Sep 10 09:05:26 CDT 2003

Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have just performed an upgrade to my Debian Sid Linux. During the
> upgrade, libc was replaced. I can now not get Wine to work on the new
> install.
>
> Previously, I would use Wine without --with-nptl. This no longer
> works. Wine sigsegv on startup (whether there are parameters or not).
>
> compiling with --with-nptl gets me slightly further. Running wine
> without parameters produces the help printout. However, when I try to
> actually run something, this does not work. It doesn't matter what I
> try to run (whether winelib or Windows). I get a series of "unhandled
> expection". This happens even for the regedit that is supposed to
> install my default registry via tools/wineinstall
>
> Any ideas? Anyone?

As Juraj sent his message almost simultaniously with mine, I just wanted
to make it clear that my problem was not the same. It appears that some
black magic is destroying the content of a variable between calls.

In "DOSFS_OpenDir", there is a variable "unix_path". At one point
(pretty early, but not at the first time), this is set to my home
directory ("/home/sun"). The function then calls "DOSFS_OpenDir_Normal".
Instead of getting "/home/sun", however, DOSFS_OpenDir_Normal gets NULL.
It calls "opendir" with NULL, and sigsegv is happening.

I am currently trying to compile Wine without optimizations, to see
whether I have triggered some wierd compiler bug. I somewhat doubt this,
however, as the several first iterations succeed without a problem.

I'm investigating this further, but if anyone has any idea.....

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Open Source integration consultant