FAQ: Update the ports section

Tom twickline at skybest.com
Wed Sep 10 09:34:46 CDT 2003

Ivan Leo Murray-Smith wrote:

>>Purely academic, I know, but m-w doesn't know "updated" as an adjective.
>>To the best of my knowledge, "the list is now updated" is slang. Am I
>>wrong here?
>>

>>From the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
>
>update verb [T]
>1 to make something more modern or suitable for use now by adding new
>information or changing its design:
>an updated version of the software
>
>http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=87314&dict=CALD
>
>It definitely isn't slang.

Thats the problem!
You have your fine dictonary in hand, so you think you know how to speak
english... but when you visit a english speaking country  the people
you speak to look like a deer caught in a spot light!
In other words sure ... Shachar... is 100% correct..... I will give him
that!
but in the real world.. where I live people would just look and
say,......... ummm.
That  young man has spent way to many years in school. A text book
genius but bumb as as creek rock when it comes to common sence..

Shachar don't get mad or pissed.. I had to find someone for my
eniligey.. :)  And beleive you me even as dumb as I am people here
think im a road scholar. And thats not saying very much :(

As far as slang goes.. I can speak three different versions of slang
NE slang, African American, SE Hill Billy, take your pick.

And as me and Dmitry have had a little fude over this before
american english is not the same as the Queens English...
And if you dont trust me.... Just come for a visit :)

And not to piss off  the brits as I have the israelis........
Your English is far superior to what we would ever except
as being english........ As we sound more like the Welsh....

Tom