Indent to get Avisynth working with Wine/Winelib

Kevin Atkinson kevina at gnu.org
Wed Sep 10 18:13:18 CDT 2003

On 11 Sep 2003, Mike Hearn wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 23:36, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> > Can a linux application link with a winlib shared library.
>
> Nope. Not yet, anyway.
>
> > >     -- run avisynth in a separate process, and devise some sort of
> > >        RPC mechanism to marshall calls back and forth.
> >
> > Unless the processes can share memory that will add a huge overhead as
> > video frames will need to be send between processes.
>
> You can use POSIX IPC to set up SHM segments, that make transfer of
> large amounts of data easy.

But can I say I need this block of memory (ie an arbitrary block which
already has data in it) to be shared.  I want to avoid having to copy
large amounts of data.  If that can not be done Avisynth will need to be
modified to allocate memory for its frames from a specific region of
memory.

Just to be sure.  A normal Linux application CAN NOT load a winlib shared
library.  Correct?

Also, how is the calling of Windows codec done in mplayer, xine, and the
like?  Could something like that be done.  Avisynth has so GUI.

--
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org