FAQ: Update the ports section

Shachar Shemesh kernelnewbies at shemesh.biz
Wed Sep 10 10:31:03 CDT 2003

Tom wrote:

> Shachar Shemesh wrote:
>
>> Tom wrote:

>>> May I call for a moderator ?
>>>

>>> I say ARE! I  don't know where your from (West Virginia)
>>> by any chance ?  ah ba bing, bing, bing.. BING!
>>> But here is NC we would say are..
>>>
>>> Geez.. english sucks. Dmitry please teach me russian!
>>>
>>> pedrrqousu
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> Now, English is not even my native language, but should that be "the
>> list is now up to date"?
>>
>>          Shachar
>>
> Hi,
>
> Shachar, go back to compiling :-) like a good little lad...

I think your attitude is a bit arrogant. Besides, I'm still having a
tough time understanding why it won't compile without optimizations.

> No.... It's  "The list are now up to date"

We are talking about "list" in third person (we aren't talking to the
list (2nd person), nor are we the list (1st)). It is singular. We are
using the present tense. According to Merriam-Webster, the verb "be"
translates to: "/present first singular/ *am*
<javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?be000006.wav=am')> /&m, 'am/;
/second singular/ *are*
<javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?be000007.wav=are')> /'är, &r/;
/third singular/ *is*
<javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?be000008.wav=is')> /'iz, &z/;
/plural/ *are"*
(http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=be)

In other words, present, singular, third person form should be "is". If
it were plural, then "are" it would be ("the list*s are* now up to
date", but "the list *is* now up to date").

> and your should, should be shouldn't .. ha

Yes, that was, indeed, a typing mistake. Better make triply sure that
each email I send to you is proofread thrice, shouldn't we?

In any case, Hebrew is my native language. What's your excuse for
"tence"? Or "are"? I think we can make everybody's life a little happier
by keeping the tone more respectful.

> anothor... ba bing, bing, bing, BING!

Whatever you say.

> Tom