[winecfg 8] Complete drive edit dialog, warn on lack of C drive, implement drive delete, code cleanups

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Thu Sep 11 10:39:17 CDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 16:20, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> This is a cool feature, but we should keep it optional. Our primary
> audience are Windows users, and they are not used to that. Heck,
> even I am not used to it, I am used to be able to play around with
> stuff in dialogs, and than press CANCEL. In fact, KDE is not
> instant apply, so I would argue that even most Linux users are
> used to that.

That is a valid point, but I would counter that if we have settings
complex enough that a reasonably normal person cannot remember what they
changed, they shouldn't be settings at all. Now, that's fine for check
boxes, combo boxes etc, for the drive configuration there are quite a
lot of text edits, so some kind of revert/cancel function may well be a
good plan.

On the other hand, I've met quite a few people who don't grok the
difference between "OK" and "Apply". They press Apply, nothing changes,
and they think "what just happened?", especially in this case because
you have to restart the apps running under emulation to see the effects.

The other confusing thing is that if you click OK, then reopen the
dialog, Cancel no longer does anything. That's confusing because most
people don't make a link between the dialog disappearing, and the
changeset being committed then freed.

> I'd argue that we need to support instant apply to integrate with
> GNOME, but to default to the classic OK/CANCEL for now, until we
> can figure how and when to enable one or the other behaviour.

Maybe, but having two different behaviours could itself be pretty
confusing.

I'll implement revert in dialogs where there is clearly a need (the
drive edit is probably one of those areas), but in others the only value
I can see for having a cancel button is to follow what Windows (which
basically doesn't having much of a HIG at all) and KDE (which typically
follows windows) do. Having revert/close then is basically like
OK/cancel except the buttons are labelled differently - the
functionality is the same.

I'd recommend you try it anyway, and see how it feels. Certainly I found
instant apply felt much snappier, simpler and more understandable - so
far I haven't missed cancel buttons (but otoh i was never one to change
a setting, hit apply to see what it did etc, i just changed them).

thanks -mike