Bad prefs that I'm planning on dropping

Vincent Béron vberon at mecano.gme.usherb.ca
Mon Sep 15 08:52:50 CDT 2003

Le lun 15/09/2003 à 08:58, Mike Hearn a écrit :
> * Allocated system colors - in fact we still have UI for this in the
> latest version of the code, but I'm not sure what it's for, or what the
> best value is, I chose a default of 100 because that is what I happened
> to have in my config file
>
> * Private Color Map - the description for this setting is not helpful,
> "Use a private color map". I have no idea what this does, or what effect
> it'd have, so end users are probably just as clueless.

Those two are for X with less than 15 bits for colors (usually 8 bits).

The first one tells Wine to use Y colors from the system (IE, colors
which are the same from app to app). After that number is exhausted, I'm
not sure if Wine tries to do a "best fit" between the asked color and
the available ones.

The second one tells Wine to define a private color map. Visually, this
will cause the colors on the screen to change depending on which
application is at the foreground. Colors in non-foreground apps will
appear messed-up, because the colormap used (8bits->actual RGB value for
the screen) are different from app to app.

I guess not much people use X with 8bits depth nowadays, but I'm not
sure it's a reason to drop those two configuration keys.

Vincent