FAQ : How much ram do I need

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Mon Sep 15 09:58:29 CDT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 07:15:34AM -0400, Tom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading over the faq and the minimum memory requirements
> are extreamly low. So I just multiplied what we have by 4.
256 is much to high IMHO.
Note that the paragraph talks about "working", not "working well".
Case in point: I ran PowerPCB on Wine with 128MB RAM (P3/800), plus some other
assorted programs (Mozilla (30MB), SETI (20MB), VNC server (5MB), ...),
TODAY even.
It did work pretty well, if only a bit slow (I didn't notice too much swapping
on my 256MB swap partition, though).

I'd rather change that paragraph to say that 64MB should be moderately
usable if you use a very lightweight system environment (no KDE, Gnome, ...
bloatware ;), 128MB is ok, and 256MB is pretty good.

In fact IIRC the 64MB figure remains from times where Wine was a full-blown
static binary. With todays DLL separation there should be no reason why
we need more.

At the least I'd change it to say 128MB only, but OTOH maybe we should
simply specify 64MB as a minimum configuration and 256MB as "working well".

--
Microsoft prepares new round of .doc office format lock-in
(just forget about OpenOffice/StarOffice .doc interoperability then, ok?)