[DXT3] menu in Tribunal now vanishes (regression?)

Ann and Jason Edmeades us at the-edmeades.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 16:36:09 CDT 2003

>The patches themself seem to be okay only that the new if-statement in
>IDirect3D8Impl_CheckDeviceFormat should be #ifdef
>GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc because if it's not defined we don't
>have the support as you can see in IDirect3DSurface8Impl_LoadTexture
>(surface.c:468). So it will lead to white boxes on a system, when at
>compile-time the constant isn't defined and the system says it support
>it. But this isn't the case for me because the log show that it
>definitly calls glCompressedTexImage2D.

I dont understand this fully. The whole point is to eventually make all the
decisions based at run time as to the capabilities of the graphics card, to
enable distributions of wine (otherwise you are limited to the capabilities
of the machine it was compiled on). Therefore in fillglcaps, we loog for the
prescence of the compressed texture string (EXT_texture_compression_s3tc)
and if present we will call it.

In your case, it is present so it will be called. So when querying device
formats, we can return that dxt1,3,5 are available, and later on we should
call the glCompressedTexImage2D call. #ifdef'ing it either takes it out (in
which case we say we dont support dxtn and the pgm probably does its own
decompression), or you go through the same code.

So its back to why are you getting an error from that call. Can you please
send me (not wine-devel) a --debugmsg +d3d,+d3d_surface trace up to the
point the menu is displayed please (ie I should see the error on the load
texture for a dxtn format).

One final question, did the game use to play ok? I get very little feedback
on dx8 games, so I dont really know how well things are running.

FYI I am still working on it (with a lot less free time at the moment) but
getting stuck on a couple of areas we need to address at some point so
making slow progress. I want to get back to optimizing again asap.

Jason