Configuration parameters

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Sep 17 07:32:04 CDT 2003

On September 17, 2003 07:40 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Cool!
>
> Just a few things - there are some settings marked as being for winecfg
> that I don't think we really should have there. In particular:
>
> * UseDGA

I thought this is interesting for games. But have you figured when we
use this thing (if at all?). Lionel, what is this useful for?

> * GraphicsDriver

Fell through the cracks...

> * ShellLinker

Copy & Paste error

> * DesktopDoubleBuffered (not sure about this one)

This is useful for games, so I've figured it's interesting for end users.

> * Fonts/fontdirs - after Huw merges his crossover patches these should
> become automatic on fontconfig systems (ie soon to be most systems),
> perhaps regedit?

Would that include stuff in [afmdirs] as well? That's that use for BTW?

> * Spooler - isn't CUPS meant to take care of that?

Right, but would that include "FILE:" too? In windows you have GUI
for setting the filename IIRC...

> * Ports - hex values in the config gui?!?

Right, I don't know what I was thinking :)

> The rest looks A-OK to me :)

Cool, but did I miss any? To come up with the list, I've started with
the documentation/samples/config file. Are there options that should
be listed not present in that file?

I've attached a new version. Now, I'd like to know:
  -- Do everybody agree with the "Needed" column? Most importantly,
     do you see items marked as "cfg" that shouldn't, or items that
     are not marked as "cfg" and they should? Please take a few min
     to review the list, so we can have a better idea of what needs
     to be done in winecfg.
  -- Did I miss any? To come up with the list, I've started with
     the documentation/samples/config file. Are there options that
     should be listed not present in that file?
  -- What about the Dynamic column? Did I miss any or did I include
     too many?
  -- Same questions for the PerApp column.

Guys, we need everyone's help with this one. As the next step I'd
like to make sure that:
  (1) the list is complete
  (2) we all agree on the Needed/Dynamic/PerApp columns.

This is very important for a number of reasons, including:
  -- puts a bound on what we need to do
  -- provides a clear and concise list of what needs to happen
  -- helps Mike with the important winecfg work

Once we do that, we can start arguing about the default
values, these may prove a bit trickier with the autodetection
stuff, etc.

Everyone's comments are appreciated.

--
Dimi.